Tuesday, January 19, 2010



In the wake of the tragedy of last week, it is times like these which test the deepest part of our souls. Many questions arise of “why”. Why did God let this happen? Why were so many killed? Why did it happen in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere? Why should I even care, I have my won problems? Why were some lives spared and not others? The list can go one and one.
Having traveled and worked in Haiti, I too have had more questions than answers. I too get so frustrated when people like Danny Glover and Pat Robinson make ignorant comments for their own selfish gains. Amongst the confusion, devastation, and pain, in any time of devastation, no matter how big and how small, the best thing to do is focus on the facts not the speculations.

Here is what I do know:

  • The God we serve is a God of love and forgiveness. It was not God’s punishment on people of Haiti.
  • God answers specific prayers. While our friends Dr Glen Stewart and a group for Tennessee were in Haiti at the time of the earthquake, we prayed without ceasing for their safety. By God’s grace and harm, they returned home without physical injury. We continue to pray for their psychological healing that is needed after such an ordeal. We pray for those friends that lost there life while serving God in Haiti.
  • I am proud I serve a church that responds immediately. Week of Compassion sent fund within 24 hours of the quake to begin the process of saving those who were trapped. I am proud that Week of Compassion continues to offer several areas of support.
  • I am forever grateful for the special gifts God places in my life each and every day. The gift of a loving healthy family, a wonderful church family, a place to live, a place to worship, something to eat, and friendships. I am grateful for the time I have and realize it can all change at in a split second.
  • God brings about healing by helping others. I am encouraged by those who have already responded in various ways. I look forward to the opportunity in the future to serve the beautiful people in Haiti. We can begin the healing process by serving people here in Centralia. All God’s children need our attention, when we put others first, we are the ones that receive the greatest inward reward.
  • God is good all the time. I’m the midst of any tragedy we will begin to see God’s grace and mercy shine. We will witness the Light of Christ shine through in the darkness wither it is in Haiti or Centralia. We will see God’s people react with compassion, zeal, and extraordinary feats.
    We continue to pray and worship the God of mercy, grace, and love through all time both good and bad. It is now; we praise God for all those who can’t find their voice at this time.
    Together with the power of a sovereign God turn a tragedy into everlasting hope.
    See ya in church but until then take care of yourself and one another.
    Shalom,
    Tommy

No comments: