Monday, June 6, 2011

An Old Watch

Sometime last Christmas, I received a box and a note from my Aunt. In the box was a very old pocket watch. The note explained that the watch once belonged to my grandfather, which upon his death he had given to my uncle Walter because Walter was the youngest Henegar. The note read since my uncle and father have long since died and because I was the youngest Henegar, she wanted to be sure I got it. It was very touching to me as I never got to know my grandfather. I have no conscious memory of grandfather as he passed away two days before I was born. I now have possession of something tangible to hold on to the stories I have heard about my grandfather. I have something real to represent the legacy of my family. While I was over whelmed with the gift my hearts beats with anticipation for the future. I have a vision of the day when I hand it over to Will and he hands it down to his children. The joy I felt when I received the watch will not compare to the joy I am confident I will feel when I give it away.


When the resurrected Christ ascended to heaven, He sent the Holy Spirit as His legacy to us. Christ left the world his body known as the church. Sunday we will kick off a 12-18 month campaign of “I love my church.” We will reveal the vision God has laid for us specifically for the year ahead. We will begin Acts 29. (Many have asked what exactly Acts 29 is, sorry you’ll have to come Sunday to find out). Acts 29 will be the legacy of the church we leave to our children and grandchildren. When Christ left this world to ascend into heaven, he left his body, the church to continue his teachings, his ministry of healing, and his instructions on how to live. The church, our church, is the extension of the gospel stories. It is the power of the Holy Spirit that helps us, guides us, and strengths us to do what Christ has called us to do. We could never accomplish anything without God’s spirit upon us. When we read the second chapter of Act, we get a glimpse of the power of the Holy Spirit. It empowered ordinary people to do extra ordinary things. It broke down language and cultural barriers so the good news could break through. It was the beginning of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Centralia. Yes, you read that right. The moment the Holy Spirit busted into the room that day that was also our beginning. The Holy Spirit was the family watch handed down to many generations.

Through the power of the Holy Spirit, we as Christ body, we as FCC will transform our community like never before. We will pass along a healthier, stronger, growing, and stable church to our children and grandchildren. We will no longer be restricted by the mistakes of the past, but by the power of the Spirit for tomorrow. We will extend our faith family beyond our own imagination because we are the Pentecost story. Where do we start? We begin Sunday by sharing our most valuable gift and asset we have in our possession: LOVE…
Peace & Grace,
Tommy

No comments: